Part A: Preparing the Water for Maximum Protection of Your Pool Against Winter Damage
48 Hours Prior to Closing Your Pool:
- Bring a 1 litre water sample to your Dazzle™ Professional Retailer.
- Follow the prescription for balancing your water for the harsh winter conditions. Water becomes more corrosive and damaging when cold. Compensate by increasing the pH to 7.6 – 7.8 just prior to closing.
- Clean your filter media with Dazzle™ Rapid Action Filter Cleanse, following label directions. Debris left in the filter solidifies and hardens when left on the filter media over the winter, compromising filtration when you are ready to resume normal filtration in spring.
- Following filter cleaning, deep cleanse your water with Dazzle™ Prep Cleanse. Shake well and add product through the skimmer. 1 bottle treats up to 80,000 litres. Digesting organic waste and reducing phosphate levels means your water is cleaner and less susceptible to algae growth over the winter months. This makes your time to ready your pool at spring opening a breeze.
These next steps can be performed after lowering the water level for winter or before.
Our preference is for these products to be added after the water has been lowered. By adding after the lowering of the water, we ensure the discharge water will have the least impact on the environment as possible. We also maximize the protective ability of the products being added by reducing waste.
When applying these products after the lowering of the water, apply very slowly and sparingly around the edges of the deep end of the pool and be sure to brush the pool thoroughly to ensure proper mixing. Do this following each product application.
Consult with your Dazzle Professional for the best products to use for your specific pool and the type of cover you are using. Consider purchasing a Dazzle or Pristiva Closing Kit that is specific to the type of pool you have and the cover you use. The method for treating the water described below is acceptable for all types of swimming pools, including salt. However, if you have a salt pool, the Pristiva system is the best and preferred method. Consult your Dazzle Professional for more information.
- Prevent stains and scale formation with Dazzle™ Stain & Scale Cleanse. Apply directly to the pool, pouring around the edges. Brush immediately after application. 1 bottle treats up to 80,000 litres.
- Remove organic wastes with Dazzle™ Amaze Plus (1 pouch per 40,000 litres) or Dazzle™ Ultra Shock. Apply slowly and sparingly, directly to the pool, brushing immediately after application. Premixing in a pail of pool water and pouring around the edges is also recommended when there is no deep end or the water is very cold. Prevent algae with Dazzle™ Algae Resist 50 (60 ml per 10,000 litres) or Algae Clear 60 (100 ml per 10,000 litres).
- Always brush immediately after application of these products to ensure proper mixing.
- Note: If a safety cover or mesh cover is to be used, consider adding Dazzle™ Phos Cleanse Plus for added protection against algae growth. Shake well and apply by pouring around the edges of the pool. Brush the walls to mix. Add just prior to the pool cover being secured in place. Use 1 bottle for pools up to 80,000 Litres.
Part B: Preparing the Equipment and the Pool
- Remove any leaves and heavy debris using a deep bag leaf rake. Be careful if choosing to vacuum the leaves using your pool vacuum to avoid plugging the suction line. It is recommended to use a proper leaf rake with a deep bag for the heavy accumulations on the bottom of the pool.
- Vacuum the pool to remove any finer debris and backwash thoroughly when finished.
- Brush the pool walls thoroughly.
- Lower the water level using the pools vacuuming system, if available. Set the dial valve to the drain/waste position. If this isn’t possible, use a submersible pump or other suitable method.
- For in-ground pools: Lower the water to 1” below the lowest return jet – allowing all water to drain out of the return lines.
- For above-ground pool: Lower to 18” below the mouth of the skimmer.
NOTE: When the water level falls below the mouth of the skimmer while using the pool vacuuming system, use a garden hose in the skimmer to maintain a water level in the skimmer. This will prevent air from drawing in around the hose and losing prime in your pump.
NOTE: Many areas within Canada have by-laws related to waste water discharge. If you live in an area that is covered by a waste water discharge by-law, consult your Dazzle/Pristiva Professional on your options for compliance and techniques for closing your pool. In many jurisdictions, water from a swimming pool is not allowed to be discharged to the storm sewer without certain precautions being taken.
- Once the water has been lowered to the desired level, shut off pool pump, submersible, etc..
- Clean the skimmer basket and the pump’s hair and lint basket and store.
- Remove all drain plugs from the pool pump, filter, heater, chlorinator/brominator and any other equipment that may be in place. Allow all the water to drain. Once all the water has drained, apply a silicone lubricant to any drain plugs/o-rings and re-install (do not use lubricants on chlorinator/brominator drain plugs).
Note: If a sand filter, it is best to not re-install the drain plug as water can drain slowly through the sand. Only re-install after you are sure all water has drained or wait until spring.
- Filter: Remove and store pressure gauge(s) and site glass and place filter dial valve in the winterize position.
- Heater: Check with your Dazzle™ Retailer for specific instructions on how to winterize your heater.
- Pump: Pour Dazzle™ Premium Antifreeze into the pump. Add enough to completely cover the impeller to keep it lubricated and prevent drying. Lubricate the lid ‘o’-ring with Jack’s Magic Lube, a silicone lubricant, and re-install lid but do not tighten.
- Automatic Chlorinators/Brominators: Remove any remaining sanitizer and flush with water. Do not use antifreeze in automatic chlorinators/ brominators. Unused product may be allowed to dry and stored for use next season. Keep away from children and pets. Once dry, put in a zip lock bag and store securely.
- If a salt pool, disconnect the salt chlorinator cell from the control box and at the unions. It is recommended to clean the cell with Pristiva Salt Cell Cleaner, following the instructions carefully. Then store the salt cell with your other parts and pieces, indoors if possible. Cover the exposed piping where the cell was removed to prevent rodents and insects from entering.
NOTE: Consider using a special box or bag for the storage of your pools parts and pieces. Avoid using a garbage bag or other method that could go missing or be thrown out. For parts like a pressure gauge or a salt chlorinator cell, they are best stored indoors over winter where freezing isn’t an issue.
- Remove and store return fittings (eyeball, lock rings).
- Ensure water has drained from pool return piping and plug. If unsure whether the water has drained naturally, use a shop-vac to blow out the return lines. Consult with your Dazzle™ Professional on how best to do that with your specific plumbing configuration.
- Clean the scum line around the pool and skimmer with Dazzle™ Pool & Patio Cleanse. Patio furniture, diving boards, ladders, etc. can also be cleaned with this product. Always test in an inconspicuous area if unsure of product compatibility.
- Remove and store ladder(s), handrails, diving board, underwater lights, auto cleaners, etc.
Suction Line and Skimmer:
- If your pool has a functioning main drain line, feed approximately three feet of foam rope down the main drain line (located in the skimmer). Plug it off with a rubber expandable plug or a threaded plug wrapped in Teflon tape. Do not attempt to drain this line of water.
- Use a shop vac to vacuum all the water out of the suction line and skimmer. Once the suction line is completely free of water, pour approximately two litres of Dazzle™ Premium Antifreeze down your suction line, followed by the feeding of approximately two feet of foam rope. Use a “Gizzmo” or other type of plug to secure this line. A “Gizzmo” is specifically designed to absorb any expansion inside the skimmer. If a Gizzmo isn’t used, consult your Dazzle™ Professional on other means of providing expansion protection inside the skimmer.
- Add additional Dazzle™ Premium Antifreeze into the skimmer for extra protection.
- Clean, protect and preserve any solar blanket with Dazzle™ Cover Cleanse.
- Secure winter cover: For solid winter covers, add 2 inches of water to the top of the cover to hold it in place from high winds.
- Place water bags around cover: Place water bags through loops. Fill to approximately 50%, do not overfill.
- Water bags should ideally be touching end to end.
NOTE: Each pool is unique, for more comprehensive winterizing instructions, consult your Dazzle™ Retailer.
NOTE: If you are using a safety, mesh or no cover, re-treat with algicide at the first thaw in the spring to further reduce the risk of algae at opening.
- Dazzle™ Winter Kit
- Pristiva Pool Closing Kit
- Dazzle™ Prep Cleanse
- Dazzle™ Phos Cleanse Plus
- Dazzle™ Rapid Action Filter Cleanse
- Dazzle™ Pool & Hot Tub Surface Cleanse
- Dazzle™ Premium Antifreeze
- Dazzle™ Cover Cleanse
- Pristiva Salt Cell Cleaner
- Foam Rope
- “Gizzmo” or other type of skimmer freeze protection
- Teflon tape
- Rubber expandable plugs
- Water bags
- Silicone Lubricant
- Leaf rake/net
- Pool brush
- Pool-grade sponge or brush
- Replacement parts (cracked baskets etc.)